Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Confident Woman


By Aya Kordy

“If it were my ideal world, I would own an empire of hotels.” What a unique dream for an eighteen year old! She has her pros and cons, ups and downs, she is like every other person yet one of a kind.
She likes to be responsible and tell people what to do. She has been her class president for two years, secretary for one year, and treasurer for one year. Her history in Schutz for the past twelve years stands out.
Laila Afifi is a senior Schutz student. She began her school year in Schutz twelve years ago, and now she is ending it in the same place. As I interviewed Laila I realized how much Schutz influenced her whole life. Laila wishes to attend college in the United Kingdom, specifically the University of Warwick. She wishes to major in International Relations, International Business, or Business Law. Laila has not yet pictured her future as a whole; she likes to take it “one day at a time.” Nevertheless, there is one thing she knows, she said confidently “I don’t know what exactly I want to be, but what ever it is, I‘d like to be good at it.” As we all know, Laila has a very firm personality. She rarely ever shows her weak side, as a matter of fact she never does. Out of curiosity, I decided to know what her weakness could be. Smiling at my question, she sighed, “When I have an idea of my own and I strongly believe in it and somebody plays it down”.
Laila will miss “everything in Schutz” and added “I’ll miss that everybody knows everybody and everything.” Laila had her own thoughts that she wishes to share with the school. “I have been at Schutz for twelve years. I remember practicing with Greg for the winter program, standing in the
front row because I was one of the youngest students. Now I stand in the back of the room, with twelve years behind me. I know that the next step is out of the door, outside of Schutz. The thought that it is finally coming to an end is both scary and exhilarating. Schutz has been more than a family to me. I hope that everyone may have this wonderful opportunity as I did!”
Laila Afifi’s name will no longer be in Schutz’s enrollment list after this year; nevertheless, it will always be part of its history.

No comments: